Re: [Question #77454]: Grub cant setup files

Question #77454 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/77454

Tom proposed the following answer:
Weird.  Perhaps Xp is on a 2nd physical drive?  Anyway, i'm glad to hear you haven't lost data.  Can you boot up from the Ubuntu Cd?  You should get to a menu that has the option "Try Ubuntu without changing anything on this machine" (something like that), if you don't get to that option this guide might help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
Choosing the "Try Ubuntu ..." option should get you to a working desktop which we call a "LiveCd session", if it woks.  Firefox on the top taskbar should let you surf right back into here.

Also on the top taskbar please go to

Applications - Accessories - Terminal

into the terminal/command window/console type

sudo fdisk -l

note that to check what commands do you can type " -h" or "  --help"
after them, so for example try

sudo -h

fdisk -h

to get quick help guides on how to use those commands.
Please let us know the results so we can see what's going on
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)