[Question #77619]: still cant display on a plasma tv!!!

i posted this question several days ago and someone was kind enough to answer.  however, my computer knowledge is next to nothing, so i do not understand how to "edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add the TV as an extra display.".  can someone please help me in layman's terms?
i have a laptop with a broken display.  in order to see the display, it must run to my tv, which i have done via an s cable.  i was running windows on my laptop (and viewing the screen on my tv) until last week, when windows finally drove me crazy enough to attempt to install my own os.  after some research, i discovered ubuntu, and gave it a try.  i have successfully installed ubuntu, and i can get the laptop screen to flicker for a couple of seconds in order to do what i need to do to change the display over to the tv.
and now i'm stuck.
please help!
here is where i am.  i have turned the computer on/off several times hoping that the system would recognize the tv via the s cable.  it hasn't.  the s cable is still connected to both the laptop and the tv.  the computer is currently on the gold screen that first comes up when the computer is turned on.  in the upper left hand corner there are a few tabs i can click on, and there is a trash can icon in the bottom right corner.  where do i go from here???
again, i need instructions as if i am a child!  what do i right click, type, hit enter, etc.
if i cant get this resolved, i am going to have to reinstall windows b/c at least i know how to display the screen on my tv.  i don't wanna go back there, so please help!!!!!!
thanks,
jy