Re: [Question #77535]: Hard Drive/Partition not detected?

Tom posted a new comment:
Lol, thanks & congrats :))

I would definitely avoid running any Windows stuff in linux.  Why bother with it when native linux apps tend to be so much better anyway?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

To get almost all your multimedia working in one go it's worth running through the Medibuntu worksheet
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
I tend to go with non-free components and haven't had to pay anything so far.  Depending on which country you're in perhaps you should pay someone for the rights to use certain codecs and things.  I'm still waiting to be asked and will then look into the validity of the claim made - perhaps while simultaneously switching over to completely OpenSource to really free myself.

I find the best way to add any extra functionality i require is to go up
to the top taskbar and click on

System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager

and then use the search button to do some vague search.  If i do know
the name of a particular package then i still tend to use the search
button even though it's main advantage is that it searches in package
descriptions as well as in package titles.  There are other package
managers (for example, Applications - Add/Remove Applications) and they
all read the same lists, databases, repos and everything but i prefer
the way synaptic gives me more detail.  Sometimes it just adds a library
or codec to make an application i use all the time just gain the extra
functionality, sometimes it suggests installing a whole new app :)

The idea of continuing to think in Windows terms and then trying to
translate that into linux terms doesn't appeal.  Each is good in their
own world.  I agree that Xp is an excellent OS now - in the linux world
we would say the beta testing stage has finally produced something
that's just about secure enough and Xp seems ready for full release.
It's just a shame that microsquish has made so much money from selling
people something that wasn't really ready and is beginning to withdraw
support for it now that Xp is at last ready! lol

Oh here's one good reason for going with linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

I see no reason to wipe my Xp side or my linux sides.  They both work so i'm keeping both <shrugs> Not a big issue for me :)
Good luck and welcome to linux-land, especially the Ubuntu corner of it :)
Regards from
Tom :))