Re: [Question #77699]: how do other people know I am on line?

Question #77699 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/77699

Tom proposed the following answer:
Yes, i think this is likely to be a Yahoo issue.

Some sites do have those pop-ups which can be ignored - in fact it's
best to avoid clicking on them at all if possible.  Closing the tab
usually gets rid of them.  People claiming to know you are on-line does
sound like a standard phishing or spam tactic. If they send it out to
enough people then they are bound to be righ for a few people.  In
firefox it might be well-worth adding the add-on called "Adblock Plus",
go up to "Tools" menu and click on "Addons" and in that pop-up box click
on "Get Add-ons" teh seach tool there should help you find and install
"Adblock Plus" which also helps speed up firefox by blocking a whole
load of other standard internet adverts and such like.  I usually go
with the USA list but choosing appropriately for the country you are in
sould be good.

As far as blocking the Yahoo stuff goes i really don't know.  It seems
impossible to reach a proper tech support foum or to contact Yahoo tech
directly.  Their user forums answers seem to run along the lines of
"Look ponies" - getting a sensible answer is almost impossible.  I have
noticed that in "Contacts" there's a way to "block sender" but i haven't
tried to use this feature yet.  Mostly i want to block people i don't
know rather than people i do know.  Yahoo has some very annoying
features at the moment but it also does have some really nice features,
once they stop jumping around and resizing everything at random lol

Good luck with this!
Regards from
Tom :)