Re: [Question #77496]: 8.04 Problem with Software Sources

Question #77496 on update-manager in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/77496

Trenoweth is still having a problem:
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

I have now successfully done:

Find the line:
Prompt=lts
change it to
Prompt=normal

Press CTRL+X to exit, press Y, then press ENTER

You have now saved the new file.

now run:

sudo do-release-upgrade

I have done this but the result, though, was "No new release found"

gksudo synaptic

see if you can change the release upgrade to normal.

Ran gksudo synaptic which gave me Synaptic Package Manager, but I
couldn't find any reference to the release upgrade

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then to update and upgrade and also check pending or missing packages,
still using terminal type:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get --fix-missing install
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

This gave me a long list with several "Failed to fetch" messages, all
for hardy.

sudo apt-get upgrade

Produced 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Same result as above

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get --reinstall install update-manager

1 reinstalled

sudo apt-get autoremove

Then please retry to use the update-manager to check if your issue is
solved

Produced 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
again

Problem not resolved :-(  Still the same as before.

Which Computer, Dell-mini?

Yes, Dell Mini 9

Make sure Hardy is up to date.

Apart from the few files that would not update (mentioned above) it is.

I'm beginning to think I'd simply do better with a clean install of 9.4
which I believe I can do from a USB pen drive?  If not I do have an
external disk drive I could use.

I am familiar with CLI based environments as I used to program on a
couple of Amigas, but that was ten years ago!