Re: [Question #77756]: KlamAV

Question #77756 on klamav in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/klamav/+question/77756

John Kelly is still having a problem:
Tom wrote:
> Your question #77756 on klamav in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/klamav/+question/77756

> Tom proposed the following answer:
> It's better to run antivirus from a command-line.  There is a gui that
> you can install as a front-end to it but i can't remember what it's
> called and wouldn't advise using it anyway because it just gives 1 more
> thing that the antivirus would have to workaround and be unable to deal
> with if the gui front-end got infected lol.  Oh, i've had a look around
> and it seems that klamav is a gui front-end for clamscan!
>
> Wow, i'm glad you asked this because i've just found that i hadn't
> installed an anti-virus on this hard-drive at all! lol, i've just
> installed it now :) Hmm, the 'quick help' was a lot longer than normal
> so i had to add  " | more" to the end so i could read the beginning part
> easily
>
> clamscan -h | more
>
> Hmm, that didn't help much but i found from
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
> that to update the virus definitions i needed to run
>
> sudo freshclam
>
> this gave me a warning that i didn't have the ultra latest clamav but as
> i do have the latest one that is in the Ubuntu repos (the same version
> as you) i think this is ok.  It even said don't worry.  Anyway, getting
> the latest antivirus definitions is the main thing :)  Next it's time to
> use the advice from
>
> clamscan -h | more
>
> to run this on your machine
>
> clamscan --move=/home/john/Documents/Quarantine
>
> on my machine that's
>
> clamscan --move=/home/tom/Documents/Quarantine
>
> I hope this helps!
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)
>
> Hi om,
sorry to be a pest but i downloaded  latest clamav tar.gz.
I am not too familiar with these things Having saved it and doubled
clicked  then extracted and opened it and opened and saved each file and
restarted and  then sudo freshclam and got the below

john@abraham-laptop:~$ sudo freshclam
[sudo] password for john:
ClamAV update process started at Thu Jul 23 18:07:00 2009
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.95.1 Recommended version: 0.95.2
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
main.cld is up to date (version: 51, sigs: 545035, f-level: 42, builder:
sven)
daily.cld is up to date (version: 9608, sigs: 57371, f-level: 43,
builder: ccordes)

john@abraham-laptop:~$ clamscan --move=/home/john/Documents/Quarantine
ERROR: '/home/john/Documents/Quarantine' doesn't exist or is not a directory

thanks for your patience
John