Re: [Question #77883]: How do I get past the update manager and the add/remove locking the system and what is the square area surrounding the curser?

sd horstman is still having a problem:
Actionparsnip, I have a computer store and repair and sell computers.  I
have loaded the same ubuntu on 16 computers of all types but there are
two that act exactly the same way.  One is a Compaq running at 133 MHz
and the other is an HP running at 500 MHz both have 256 Meg Ram as all
the others.  Both of the problem computers had Windows 2000 on them and
were running fine when I tried loading the Ubuntu 9.04 ( three seperate
times with a low level format in between) everything goes as should be
but when I take the disk out and the machines restart the same problems
occur.  I was able to run System Testing and the results were sent out
ok, but when I tried to run the System Monitor the same thing happens as
with the add/remove and the update manager and all I can do is shut the
machine down and back on to try something else.  Any other suggestions?
I will try anything.  Thanks