[Question #77982]: Dual boot system - XP Pro always boots : Jaunty frequently fails to boot

Hi there. I have a new dual-core Intel E5300 2.6Ghz system with Foxconn G31MX motherboard, 4Gb Ram, 500Gb Hitachi disk and internal DVD/RW. I have ps2 connected keyboard and mouse.

I configured it for dual boot with XP Pro and Ubuntu, and I make the selection using Grub.

When I select XP Pro, the system always boots up without fail.

When I select Ubuntu 9.04, the boot frequently fails for no reason that's obvious to me. Here's what happened this morning....

First cold boot - selected normal boot from grub - failed immediately - system halted and monitor reported "no cable" just after the grub messages
Rebooted - selected recovery mode - saw a quick flash of logged text then monitor reported "no cable" and system stopped again
Inserted live cd and selected boot in safe graphics mode - booted up ok in low res mode
Selected "restart" from the shutdown menu - selected normal boot from grub - failed immediately - monitor reported "no cable" just after the grub messages (again)
Switched everything off and did a cold boot again. Failed exactly as the first cold boot did.
Switched everything off again, switched on, and did a second cold boot - succeeded!

I really, really, really need your help to figure out what's going on here!

I don't seriously think there's anything wrong with my hardware as everything works normally in XP, and indeed in Ubuntu once I get the system started.