[Question #77991]: error message 16, help needed please

We recently obtained a laptop for my son with ubuntu installed. It has worked ok for a month, but now will not work. It keeps coming up with error message 16. I am almost completely computer illiterate and have no idea how to fix this for him. Can anyone give me any really simple advice? I have looked online and people seem to be saying that it's something to do with a grub or something, but i really cant understand what they are saying. i have no installation cd's or anything. His laptop is how he keeps in touch with his friends and he is really miseable without it. Thank you for your time