Re: [Question #77982]: Dual boot system - XP Pro always boots : Jaunty frequently fails to boot

Question #77982 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/77982

Steve McG is still having a problem:
Tom:

I've got a single 500Gb Hitachi disk partitioned so that XP and Ubuntu
have roughly half each. Grub menu shows 4 Ubuntu options and one for XP.

actionparsnip:

Reinstalled grub. Ran memtest - no errors. Ran fsck - no errors. Managed
to do several successful boots, then eventually I got the message

Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode.

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your
configuration to solve this.

(EE) intel(0) No valid modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

>From here, dropped into the command prompt, did a "sudo su" followed by
"reboot", and the system started correctly. I think it's the logic
and/or timing of the monitor setup which is incorrect in Ubuntu. It's
sometimes not seeing the monitor correctly, as the above message proves.
The monitor is a tft with 1440*900 resolution connected by a vga cable
(it doesn't have DV). Is there anything I can do about this?