Re: [Question #59059]: 137GB Limitation for my 500GB HD

kodanda requested for more information:
Hi Ariel,

I am experiencing a similar problem with the hard disc capacity
limitations wit BIOS. Below I will explain my situation and
requirements.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FJ1S/W laptop bought 3 years ago. I recently
wanted to upgrade my hard disc from 80 GB to 500 GB. I bought a 500 GB
hard disk, updated the BIOS to the latest available version from the
Sony's official support. This shows me only 137 BG in the BIOS for the
new disc. I contacted the Sony company support and they said there is no
more support for this model. So BIOS upgrade (for free) is ruled out for
my case.

When I tested to install Ubuntu, I went until disc partitioning, I could
see 465 GB listed out there. So it recognizes the full capacity.

When I used my recovery CDs to install WinXP, I get a message "Setup is
inspecting the hardware...". I see a black blank screen and the system
hangs - no keyboard, DVD drive spinning but only the CPU works and the
fan runs very fast. To be sure I checked the recovery discs with the old
small hard discs and they work properly.

My requirements are that

(1) I want to have WinXP from my old hard disc. I need windows for my wife and for my MP4 and camcoders.
(2) I want to install Ubuntu in the rest.

Could you please suggest me a method and a partitioning scheme.

Thanks in advance,

kodanda