[Question #78028]: Firefox 3 Ubuntu fails after update assertion failed

After a routine update to Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Firefox 3 no longer loads properly. It renders a blank page with a fail message shown further down.

In addition, my Google Chromium browser no longer loads at all after the same update.

Oddly enough, my Epiphany Browser still works fine. Obviously Firefox and Chromium are toast and cannot be updated as the Update Manager tells me that I just updated an hour ago and no updates are available.

The bad news message that is rendered after the Firefox 3 blank page load is shown in its entirety below:

Assertion Failed:

ASSERT: *** Search: _installLocation: engine has no file!
Stack Trace:
0:ENSURE_WARN(false,_installLocation: engine has no file!,2147500037)
1:()
2:()
3:()
4:epsGetAttr([object Object],hidden)
5:()
6:()
7:currentEngine()
8:get_currentEngine()
9:updateDisplay()
10:init()
11:([object XULElement],20)

Should I attempt to un-install and re-install Firefox 3? and if so, will I lose all my bookmarks?

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I have used Ubuntu for more than 3 years and have never had a problem like this one before.