[Question #78031]: OpenOffice 3.1 Impress slow and graphics errors

New question #78031 on openoffice.org in ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/78031

OOo 3.1 Impress has become very slow on my 8.04 Hardy system, but 3.0.1 had been smooth recently.  I'm mostly working with PowerPoint files at the moment.  System Monitor shows impress using lots of CPU (variably 25-60%) even when idle.  Also, while 3.0.1 had no graphic errors in displaying certain objects from an imported ppt file, 3.1 renders them badly and saves these errors in new files such that PowerPoint (2000) renders them the same way from the new file (so its corrupting the graphics during import/export).  I'm not sure if these speed and graphic errors are related, but they roughly coincide to my upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.1 from Launchpad.  Disabling compiz had no effect (mentioned in Ubuntu forum).  The speed and errors issues make 3.1 unusable, but since 3.0.1 packages aren't available anymore in Launchpad, I can't downgrade easily (to test/diagnose/resolve).  A few versions should be kept in launchpad for such purposes!!!  Maybe I'll use the OpenOffice.org torrent version of 3.0.1 .deb packages...

Any ideas, patches?