Re: [Question #77889]: GRUB Error 5

Question #77889 on grub in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/77889

opticon is still having a problem:
I was able to boot up using the Live CD, which is where I used the
Partition Editor, noting that the sdb disk was "unallocated" and also
where I used the terminal to produce the previous output with an fdisk
-l

Since that previous post I have used my windows xp cd to run fixmbr from
the recovery console and restore the windows boot loader. Of course, the
computer will now only boot into windows but at least I have all that
data and a working os, I just can't access any of the linux partitions.
I have looked into some questionably useful windows apps which purport
to allow read/write access to an ext3 formatted partition. None of them
worked even when Ubuntu was working fine and this partition problem
probably won't make that any easier. I fear the data lost.