Re: [Question #78132]: anything i should know before begining a new install by a n00b?

wysiwyg111 is still having a problem:
Dear Tom:

well, i am laughing quite a bit from the later parts of your reply. :-)

first, ok. so debian sounds like it might be better. i am not really
looking to "learn linux" per se. quite a bit of *nix background as i'm
something of an "old timer" compared to most of the folks on the sites i
frequent. played with the earliest home machines (atari, apple, trs-80,
pet, commodore, et alia) when they first came out and i was in jr/high
school. and got quite a bit of "real" *nix experience all along the way
as well.

this particular application is, as i said earlier, for a pretty specific purpose. like i said, building a box to tweak with specific networking hardware and "surround" it with a "simulated net" (server configured to act in certain ways to get specific results out of the hardware). so, sounds like debian. wondering where to get that, but will probably not have a problem finding it.
(and, like a dumbass, i had not yet looked back at your suggestions; i just looked above and you have already kindly pointed me there. :-)

as for the cd's. yeah, it seems like that might be correct. the cd i
just created, a no-brand re-writable, seems to be unhappy in the
install. i was wondering if it might be the drive, but it kind of does
seem like the disk.

>However if you are a typical Windows user then you'll ignore the advice and when Ubuntu
>doesn't work without any hassle just walk off in a huff. If you are (as i suspect you are) a true
>linux power-user that just hasn't explored linux yet, then you'll ignore all advice and struggle
>on to squeeze Ubuntu onto your system and learn a lot but take ages to get something
>workable on your system Lol

heh heh. well, i don't think i am a "typical (insert operating system
here) power user", so, i'll take your advice and try debian. :-) BUT, i
WOULD like to think that i am a "power user" of some sort, perhaps the
flexible kind, and am off to find a new cd to download.

thanks for the tips. will report back here in a little while with more
info.

regards, wysiwyg111