[Question #78157]: How to compile kernel + headers package in Karmic

Question #78157 on linux-meta in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+question/78157

    Project: Ubuntu => linux-meta in ubuntu

Description changed to:
Hi I am using 9.10 alpha 3 and I wanted to generate new kernel packages
for my project https://launchpad.net/kernel-xps-1330. The goal is to use
standard ubuntu source package and change config specific to machine and
make deb packages only for AMD64.

I have tried to read a lot of online how-to's, none of them give correct
steps for the new kernel. All have outdated steps or some have steps for
upstream kernel which i dont want.

Could some one please let me know how to compile the latest kernel
(2.6.31-4-22) just with config changes.

Thanks
Shyam