Re: [Question #77961]: New user - please HELP

jezebel confirmed that the question is solved:
Thank you for all of your help, guys. I really appreciate it.
I followed the advice given re: partitioning, new torrent client, checked the installation (which was followed correctly from a disk), and read the links provided for info. I did manage to fix a couple issues, but in the end, I found a friend who knows a lot more than I about this stuff and he came and helped me out.
The problem was that the version of ubuntu I was given did not have working drivers for some of the devices that I use; we researched the drivers, and found that the problems were common with the same devices, and no known upgrades were available.
I reverted to 8.04, and all of my problems were solved, minus one or two fixes that he walked me through.
Windows has been removed from this system, but the only reason I was hell-bent on getting it off was that I have another system that is still Windows. I can't really afford the downtime on that one to troubleshoot and get things working, so it will remain Windows, and I can use it for the things that aren't quite as nice on Linux.

If I run into anymore problems, I will definitely be posting here, and
hope you have as much patience with me again :)