[Question #78229]: How do I restart TTY7 / Xorg from SSH connection?

Description changed to:
Here's the problem:

I've got a bargain-basement motherboard with an Intel video chipset. I
want to run X-Plane (X-Plane.org) and the installer hangs every time. I
want to run Neverputt, and it hangs.

In both cases, when the program hangs, it takes Xorg with it. I can
connect from another PC using Putty and start a terminal session, but on
the host PC, while the mouse moves, nothing reacts to key presses or
mouse clicks. Hence, I can't start a local terminal (CTRL-ALT-F2, for
example) or restart Xorg with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.

So now what do I do? I can't "sudo kill Xorg" (more specifically, Xorg's
process number); it says I'm not allowed to.

Killing X-Plane's installer or NeverPutt both claim to work but I don't
get control back of my Xorg session.

When runing X-Plane, "sudo init 6" will at least reboot the system from
a PUTTY session, whereas if NeverPutt hangs it, "sudo init 6", while it
says it work, does nothing.

"sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" claims that it successfully restarted but
nothing appears to change on the affected computer.

The bottom line: if a program hangs my Xorg session, how do I recover
it? and, is there another way to restart the PC cleanly if "sudo init 6"
won't do it?