Re: [Question #78407]: Identifying Partitions / Can I save my own files in /boot

Question #78407 on Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/78407

Sebastian Gurkasch proposed the following answer:
>>Can I store my data in this directory?
You *could* use the /boot-dir for storing data, but...ahm, it is just not meant to be that way.
In /boot linux stores the boot-loader data, if any files is missing or changed, you risk to lose your boot-loader and that would be fatal. (Okay, not "worlds end"-bad, but you would have to reinstall it from another source like super grub disk.)

More prudent way would be, to the rest of your installation to your
/dev/sda1.

You could do it that way: You need a live cd. Boot it and open a
terminal. The Ubuntu e.g. ;)

Go root. 'sudo su -'
Make some dirs for your partions. 'mkdir -p /mnt/sda1 /mnt/sda2'
Mount these. 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 && mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2'
Then move your files over. 'rsync --progress --exclude=/temp/ --exclude=/boot --exclude=*.inc /mnt/sda2 /mnt/sda1/'
You have to mod your /etc/fstab a bit, go 'nano /mnt/sda1/etc/fstab' and change the /dev/sda2 for / to /dev/sda1.

Reinstall your boot loader for the changed setting (Not sure about this, maybe some one take a look over it)
'mount --bind /dev /mnt/sda1/dev'
'chroot /mnt/sda1'
'update-grub'
'grub-install /dev/sda' (try grub-install --recheck /dev/sda if it fails)
Strg-D to exit the chroot.
Reboot. Hope. :)

This is only a quick shot. Somebody should really overlook it, before you go trying, Matsobane.
The easier way maybe is to simply reinstall Ubuntu. But i am always for the "working on it"-option. :)

Evening.

P.S.: I'm not responsible for any possible data loss, you maybe
encounter.