Re: [Question #78094]: Jaunty gives '$ HOME/.dmrc file being ignored' after booting

Sam proposed the following answer:
Ray, you did a greate job already. So far it looks good to me.

There don't seem to be much options for ALC268 and ICH9 familiy (line #730)
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt#730

except what I've suggested already - to add model=acer - described in my earlier post.
Recall:
Step #1
Backup the file before edit:
sudo cp /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.backup

Step #2
gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Step #3
at the end of the file add this line:

snd-hda-intel model=acer

##save+close the file, reboot.

Skype:
It's common that pulseaudio and skype together cause trouble.
Please try to follow these suggestions:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Skype

Another common thing about sound is trial&error, because of different architectures, soundcards a.s.o.
There is no one_solution for all method, hence you need to test configurations and certainly unmute at least pcm, master and external amplifier.