Re: [Question #78539]: HELP: chown used mistakenly

Question #78539 on kdebase in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+question/78539

Larry Jordan proposed the following answer:
     It seems possible, but I don't have an account that uses a mail directory anymore.  Also, the directory as you specified on the command line above is "/*", which is the root directory anyway (wouldn't be just the mail directory).  If you meant to say "chown -cR name:users ./*" (with a period before the slash), then it only occurred in the mail directory.
     I don't see the "name:users" as an option in the chown man page, but assuming you know what you were doing there.  You should STILL be able to change permissions and ownership on files as root at any time, as long as "root" still has access, but as far as who the owner should be - don't think anyone wants to try to track that if you DID do it as just a slash.
     By the way, if you're not sure what you typed originally, you know you can use the "history" command to double check.