Re: [Question #78237]: what different ubuntu 7.10 / 8.04 / 8.10 / 9.04 / 9.10

Tom proposed the following answer:
Hi

Have you made a new folder on sda5 and copied all your files from hdc1
into this new folder?  Note that in hdc1 there should be a folder called
"Documents and Settings" and inside there are a number of folders for
'different users' on your machine - one will be "Administrator", another
will be "Network" or something, another will be "default user" and your
own one should be in there too.  Look in each of those folders for
"Desktop", "My Documents" and copy the files from those into the new
folder on sda5.  It might be easier just to copy the entire "Documents
and Settings" folder because there seems to be plenty of space on sda5
:)

I wouldn't move sda5 for now.  There's no way we can backup the data
that's on that partition at the moment so moving it is very risky,
especially as sda5 seems to be the main partition containing all your
most important data.

When you have backed up the data that's on hdc1 by copying it into sda5
then use gparted to move hdc1 along so that the unallocated space is
moved to the front of the 80Gb drive.  Note that the 'move' option is on
the same option as "resize or move" but don't bother to resize this
partition, just move it.

Good luck and regards again from
Tom :)