Re: [Question #78570]: Status tool bar is gone

Question #78570 on gnome-panel in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+question/78570

Tom proposed the following answer:
If ubuntu was pre-installed and you have no Ubuntu cd then it might be
better to try a slightly more elegant answer.  Try pressing Alt and F2
to bring up a tiny command-line.  Into that type

gksudo synaptic

it will ask for your normal user password, not your SuperUser/Root one.
In synaptic notice that all programs/libraries/codecs (we call them
packages) that are already installed are marked with a green splodge.
Either search tool is good but i prefer the "Search" button because it
searches in package descriptions as well as titles so it lets me be a
lot more vague.  Try a search for "gnome-panel".  To install or
reinstall something try right-clicking on it and choose "install".  Many
packages depend on other packages in order to be able to run but you
usually have most of what's needed already installed.  The package
manager will hunt for which dependencies are missing and ask if it can
install those too.  Finally, when all the packages you want to install
have been selected click on the "Apply" button.

Hopefully now all your gnome-panel will look normal again :)
Good luck with this, regards from
Tom :)