[Question #78638]: Install Ubuntu on Win XP

Alll,
I am a novice with Ubuntu so I am not sure that my question has been answered.  Before my hard drive crashed I had Ubuntu installed as a program (some specfic software).  So when I booted up I was given the option of using Win XP or Ubuntu.  Tlheir was no partitioning involved as XP treated Ubuntu as a program.  Now I can't locate the software that allowed me to install Upuntu.  Can anyone help.I have a Dell 530s w/ 4g mem and 300g harddrive.  Am I being clear enough ?