[Question #78639]: External monitor flickers when running opengl apps

I'm not sure if this is a bug but it is really annoying. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit on my Dell XPS M1530. It has a NVidia 8600M GT gfx card. I'm running the 185.18.29 drivers at the moment but the issue is present in the previous version too and probably before that.

I'm running my system in dual monitor mode using NVidia Twinview. The second monitor is either a Samsung P2350 or a Dell 2209WA connected to the VGA port. Whenever I run an opengl application on either the laptop screen or the external monitor, the external monitor shows faint flickering horizontal black lines. For instance, when I run Celestia on laptop's monitor, take a window and drag it around the screen quickly, the external monitor flickers. The laptop monitor never shows this flickering (or its not easily visible). The external also flickers when I run opengl apps on it (the external).  Hence, it always flickers when an opengl app is running.

I've tried switching on and off compiz and vsync (in nvidia-settings and compiz). I've also tried syncing to the external monitor's refresh rate. I've tried forcing the gfx card to a single clock speed. None of these things helped.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

I found out what the problem is. There is interference between the VGA port and the power cable. When I unplug the power cable, the flickering decreases a lot. I'll try to get a HDMI adaptor and see if that works better.