[Question #78650]: External monitor will not work properly

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, on an HP pavilion laptop.

Now, this laptop has a screen, that works fine, and I am trying to clone the display to an external monitor connected to a VGA port. So, I run the following commands:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg | This is to reset the xorg.conf to default
sudo aticonfig --initial=dual-head | This parses the xorg.conf to cause a "Big Monitor" type setup
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf | With this command, I edit the xorg.conf file and change the following:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
	Screen         "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1" RightOf "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
EndSection

To this:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

_______________

This causes it to be a clone display type setup, where both monitors have the same content, with different resolutions. This is what I want. But, when I boot up the computer, I see the login screen on both screens, then when I log in, both screens go blank until I press the 'switch display' button on my remote twice, which is annoying and also makes ubuntu dependant on having the remote.

After I press that button, both displays work fine.

But is there a way to make it work without the remote?

_________________________________

Here is my xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device     "Configured Video Device"
	Monitor    "Configured Monitor"
	SubSection "Display"
		Virtual	2560 1024
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Virtual	2560 1024
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Virtual	2560 1024
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
EndSection