Re: [Question #24106]: screen resolution sucks!

cyber_rigger proposed the following answer:
I can confirm this problem. It appears to happen with vga (not dvi) . I
can't get anywhere near the maximum screen resolutions I use to. I had
the same problem with a Matrox g400, SiS, and an older Nvidia card and
Intel graphics.

"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" doesn't help

The results were similar using Ubuntu Jaunty and Debian Lenny.

It appears to a problem with xorg. The automatic X configuration is NOT
doing its job like it used to.

Hand editing xorg.conf IS A STEP BACKWARDS. I would like to see a return
of X configuration tools.