Re: [Question #78564]: Stuck with "root@laptopname:/# " while installing Ubuntu 9.04 (14)

Larry Jordan proposed the following answer:
     All those look good, except I also have a directory in there called
"splashimages".  Within THAT directory, I have:

bike_gua.xpm.gz            debian-moreblue-swirl.xpm.gz  gnome-debblue.xpm.gz
biosplash.xpm.gz           debsplash.xpm.gz              gnucheese.xpm.gz
CRW_7206_14.xpm.gz         fiesta.xpm.gz                 guitar.xpm.gz
debblue.xpm.gz             firework.xpm.gz               gunhole.xpm.gz
debian_grey1-14col.xpm.gz  gentleblue.xpm.gz             menu-sta.xpm.gz

     Some of those are extras I downloaded recently, but you should at least have the directory and some files in it.  If you can get into the system at all (with live boot CD or something) you can either download some and set up a chosen splash screen from what you downloaded or try to find them on the live CD.