Re: [Question #78690]: Ubuntu 9.04 a week without sound

bcdln90 proposed the following answer:
I don't know if this will help, but here goes.
on my laptop, I didn't have sound. I rightclicked the speaker, in the top right hand corner, and chose "open volume control". Then when it shows the Alsa Mixer, at the bottom chose preferences, and chose "surround", turned it up, and my laptop speakers fired up!  Maybe it will help.