Re: [Question #78667]: Black screen after splash before login hardy 8.04

Diven is still having a problem:
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions actionparsnip. If
I omit the "quiet" and "splash" from the menu.lst, the Ubuntu login
screen appears as normal. At this point I am able to log in over LAN
from Windows using PuTTY or from another Ubuntu box using ssh from the
command line. If I don't omit those lines and the screen goes black as I
describe, I am not able to access the server through ssh. PuTTY displays
"Network error: Connection timed out", and ssh display something similar
"no route to host <ip_addr>".

I think it may also be related to dbus/net boot timing issues, but I can't find any log info to confirm it. I get the following messages in my syslog:

dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under
/com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.reason

dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.host_name
dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.domain_name
dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.nis_domain
dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.nis_servers

dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under
/com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.interface_mtu

NetworkManager: <WARNING>^I nm_dbus_get_networks_cb (): error received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no wireless networks stored..
The Network Manager line appears to only display for successful boots. During the day the dhcdbd lines appeared except for get reason at times I wasn't rebooting the system. I can't find a distinction between successful and unsuccesful startups that would lead to a solution.