[Question #78718]: How do I log on to the internet using a U740 HSDPA data card

I tried the pre-installation version of the Ubuntu programme to get a 'feel' for it. I like very much what I experienced and am ready to switch, however, when wanting to log on to the Internet whilst in that program I was unsuccessful as the icon or whatever kept telling me that the device is not connected or words to that effect.
When inserting the Vodafone mobile connect U740 HSDPA data card, it was duly recognised to be whatever it was called. I thinke there were 3 - 4 different connection options of which the dial up modem and the USB ones were obviously not the correct selection. I then selected the remaining option which proved not to be the answer. Maybe I completed something incorrectly.
I admit, I might pass as a techno dinosaur. In need, I'll go through the process again and record all the different things in detail. It does however take a year of Sundays to go through the process.
Please help