Re: [Question #78407]: Identifying Partitions / Can I save my own files in /boot

Tom proposed the following answer:
I would be cautious about setting Windows to change it's "My Documents"
location because that usually seems to involve a lot of messing around
with the infamous Windows registry which is well worth steering clear
of!!

I haven't tried with Vista or Windows7 but in Xp it usually gets quite
confused and ends up setting up 2 different fodlers and makes it very
unclear which you are using at any particular moment.  I don't think it
breaks the system but editing the registry can easily break the system
with even a slight slip.  Not that breaking Windows is necessarily a bad
thing tho ;)

I would use this to setup a user on what Windows would call my D:
'drive' rather than setting it up in the main boot partition for
Windows.  Windows can't cope with long filenames which is sometimes a
problem when you save web-pages - although if Windows refuses to boot
because of that then it's quite easy to boot into a gnu&linux distro
such as Ubuntu and just shorten the filename.  Anyway i would rather
boot ino Windows and just not be able to see the D: 'drive' rather than
being unable to boot and then bounce back into Ubuntu to spend time
fixing that and then bounce back into Windows.  The less time i spend
with Windows the happier i tend to be ;)

Anyway, good luck with your testing - it's great to see but take care while you're exploring the possibilities there!
Regards from
Tom :))