Re: [Question #78944]: Need to schedule updates and installs

Question #78944 on synaptic in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/78944

Michael Fletcher proposed the following answer:

What I can give you is some information on how it is implemented right now.  When you choose "Daily" from the System -> Administration -> Update Manager -> Settings (button) it adds an apt based upgrade to the "daily" cron jobs.  Cron automatically runs all the jobs in /etc/cron.daily/ at 6:25 am in your local timezone.  The apt update adds a random delay so that all workstations do not hit the update servers at exactly the same time.  If your interested the files are /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.daily/apt.

As for how to fix the problem ... I suggest you edit /etc/crontab and
change when cron.daily happens to 2:00 am.  I think that is the smallest
change you can make.

I have no idea why it was removed.  This is a community answer service.

Apt-get in fundamental to the workings of Ubuntu.  Its not going away
any time soon.  Documentation is available from the terminal if you type
'man apt-get'.  I have no idea why it would have been removed.