[Question #78968]: Need to change monitor resolution manually

Hi,
I have a widescreen monitor and the current resolution is set at 1280x768 pls see output of xrandr here for more information http://pastebin.com/m70f13678

I want to change the resolution to 1024x768.  I can do in ubuntu' display tool. The problem is that once I change it, the output does not take up the whole screen it has blank spots on the left and right side http://imagebin.ca/view/3X0O4a.html

I have read some articles on the net and I know I need to use modelines but I don't know how to get this done.

In open suse the system sets it at 1024x768 without any blanks on the left and right corner. You can have a look at it here http://pastebin.ca/1505472.

My current xorg.conf is details is at http://pastebin.ca/1516381. Please have a look.

Any help will be apprecaited

Cheers,