Re: [Question #77831]: Scanner Detection

Question #77831 on synaptic in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/77831

Michael Fletcher requested for more information:
I suspect the issue is a bug in the scanner driver.  Its unusual for a
scanner to stop working when you run an installation.  I though maybe
the firmware was being deleted or the configuration was being deleted.
You said it wasn't.

The scanner failing after every installation is unusual.  I suspect its
a coincidence that it fails after you do an installation.  Something
else is probably making it fail.

Once the scanner is working does it stay working after a reboot?

Does the scanner stay working if you just unplug and plug the scanner
back in.

Does this scanner have its own power supply or is it powered by USB?
I'm wondering it its not being reset properly.

Can you run 'sudo lsusb' and 'sudo sane-find-scanner -qv'.  This will
show in the sane backends can detect the scanner at all.  Try and run
this both when its working and when it fails.

Then run 'export SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=5 && scanimage -vvv > /dev/null'.
This should perform a scan.  Try and run this both when its working and
when it fails.