Re: [Question #78944]: Need to schedule updates and installs

Question #78944 on synaptic in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/78944

Michael Fletcher proposed the following answer:
Hi.  I did some research and figured out why you are having problems.
All of the information I gathered is from this article:
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/automate-linux-cron-and-anacron

So basically there are two "cron" daemons on Ubuntu.  Cron and anacron.
Cron behaves like we talked about before.  Anacron is designed to run
commands on a schedule (ex daily) but not at a specific time.  Anancron
is appropriate from most computers that are not turned on 24 hours a
day.

In Ubuntu anacron is usually responsible for executing jobs.  If you
look at the crontab cron only runs the daily jobs if anacron is not
installed:

05 2 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.daily )

I would suggest fixing this by

1. Removing the 'test' part of the crontab so it looks like follows

05 2 * * * root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily

2. Commenting out the daily part of /etc/anacrontab.

#1	5	cron.daily	 nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
^ put a hash in front of the line