Re: [Question #77831]: Scanner Detection

Question #77831 on synaptic in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/77831

Jacob Moh gave more information on the question:

Hi Michael.  Tried your suggestions but the same error appeared
(scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:005:002 failed: Invalid
argument).  So, I went to synaptic package manager and marked libusb for
reinstallation.  Then, I uninstalled my sane-backend-1.0.20 ("sudo make
uninstall") and restarted my computer.

After reboot, I was going to reinstall the sane backend but something
interesting happened:  I decided to try your suggestions once more and,
to my surprise, the scanner began scanning when I typed 'export
SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=5 && scanimage -vvv > /dev/null' in the terminal.

Without reinstalling the sane backend, I used xsane again (with sane
backend uninstalled) and this time xsane detected the scanner and I was
able to scan.  So, the scanner is working fine now, it seems.  I've
checked my file system: sane and snapscan folders are still intact with
the firmware in place.

I've unplugged the scanner and rebooted my system twice and replugged
the scanner.  It works.  The, I repeated the procedure.  It works even
now.  But I'm not sure if it will malfunction again once I install or
update a software.

What do you think the problem was?  Maybe a conflict in the libusb or
the sane software?  Either way, your suggestions has helped me a lot.
Thank you so much.

Jacob