Re: [Question #78944]: Need to schedule updates and installs

Question #78944 on synaptic in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/78944

Bruce Bon confirmed that the question is solved:
Report on overnight 2009-08-03:

First of all, thanks Michael for all of the information -- I'm learning
a lot.  But things still aren't working as I would like them.

First problem was that, apparently, choosing "Download all updates in
the background" in Update Manager/Settings causes update to run right
away, because all my updates were downloaded within the hour after I
made that change yesterday.  Either that, or anacron caused the daily
job to run just then -- I may not have modified the crontab and anacron
files in time to stop it.

Second problem was that I could find no evidence that any cron job ran
at 2:05 this morning, as specified in the revised crontab.  After
considerable analysis, I found that I had deleted the username (i.e.
"root") from the crontab line in step 1 of your solution, and that
caused the cron job not too run.  I fixed that, so hopefully it will run
OK tonight.

Other relevant findings, possibly useful to others:
   - anacron is run daily at 7:30 am by cron, using a crontab in /etc/cron.d/anacron .  This is how it is run after boot time.
   - start and stop messages for anacron, and a few others, appear in /var/log/syslog .

Although I haven't fully tested the solutions Michael provided, I now believe that I have enough information to take it from here, so I'm going to mark this question as Solved.  Thanks again for all of the help.