Re: [Question #79142]: problem installing Wolfenstein Enemy territory

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
no, I gave the full command, $USER is a global variable which gets replaced by your username, so you dont have to worry about who you are logged in as.
Linux is a true multiuser system so provided you have the credentials you can switch to other user names freely. Users don't want to have to think "wait, what user name am I on right now"
So unix and linux have $USER $HOME and other nicety's. Windows has %PROFILE% %ADMIN% %WINDIR% too which are synonymous.

The command is:

sudo chown -R $USER /usr/local/games

which will translate to

sudo chown -R bean /usr/local/games

in the kernel when executed. Either of the above wiil work.