[Question #79200]: Hi-jacking my email account?

Is it possible for someone to hi-jack my email account?  My emails are shown as being downloaded off the server, but then they don't appear in my inbox.  It's as if they were being redirected somewhere else.  Maybe I've done something silly with Ubuntu, (I'm a complete newbie to Linux) and I'm just wondering if I've broken evolution, but I'm not using the email package, in fact I'm back in the Windows Vista 'virus', until I've got some sort of understanding as to what I've done.  I was messing about with the terminal window trying to fix my sound problem (I haven't any sound on my acer 8930g whatsoever) and unknowingly I may have done something stupid.  I can send them, fine!  I just can't see them to read them!  I have installed firefox but I'm not sure how successful or secure that is, so it's quite possible that some idiot is having a peek at my mail, but unless I play with this b****y thing I'm never going to learn how to use it am I!  I've tried the reinstall facility in synaptic, but it still didn't work.