Re: [Question #79238]: DNS not resolving local addresses

Larry Jordan proposed the following answer:
     Well, just browsing and find some info at http://www.aboutdebian.com/dns.htm that indicates your local network has to be set up.  Most DNS name servers are going to have public information about what is available over the internet, but not on your home network (unless you are going to publish them and therefore not going to have a private network).  Mention is made as well of using the HOSTS on a local intranet like that, and info is available with "man hosts" that shows how to manually set up a host name resolver.
     Again, I don't have the need right now, so hope I will not be the final source... I like my answers to come from someone else's EXPERIENCE DOING rather than what people have read, but am responding in case no one else has info to offer either.... and in hopes it might serve you well (might answer your question).