Re: [Question #79072]: How to leave the OS on one solid state hardrive and everything else, including packages, to another harddrive.

jbowen7 posted a new comment:
Tom,

I found an excellent review/article about SSD's (
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=1 ) . It's long
(about 20 pages), but very informative, and compelling (at least for my
uses). It seems the SSD has degradation problems do to the way it writes and
deletes. From what I understand the drive can save a minimum of 4kb at a
time and delete a minimum of 512 kb at a time... I decided not to include an
explanation, it's on page 4, 5, or 6. But, from the result of the review,
even at the worst performance the SSD, when it's degradation is at it's
highest, most of the SSD's will out perform a VelciRaptor.. The OZC Vertex
seems to be an excellent drive, and it's worth looking into as a
OS/Applications Drive; you can pick a 30 GB Vertex up for 150$ at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227468.

You mentioned that wine programs are installed in /home but that programs,
in general, are installed into / ; I would think then, that a program in
wine be installed to /wine/c:/programs/theprogram, or something similar to
that?

I'm going to continue with research. I'll let you know if I find any more
information on the topic.

johnny