Re: [Question #79072]: How to leave the OS on one solid state hardrive and everything else, including packages, to another harddrive.

Tom posted a new comment:
Hi :)

Yes, the pathname for my Wine programs is

/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

but only Windows programs get installed there so it's only Windows
programs that get installed into the /home folder.  Typically, config
settings will be in a text file like

/home/user/.neverball/settings/config/neverballrc

but the actual program will be stored elsewhere and the log-files and
general activity will happen elsewhere, neither will be in /home.  Note
the "." in front of system folders so that these folders are considered
"hidden", perhaps even "system-folders".

I think the main two points with SSDs is that speed is not relative to
distance from the front of the drive and also that there's no read/write
head moving from one area to another in order to read/write.  Before all
the blocks in a partition have been written to once, you do get a false
impression of ridiculously fast read/writes but once this honeymoon
period is over you have to settle for normal performance which is merely
phenomenally fast.  I'm not sure that saying it's over a certain type of
other drive really does it justice.  I get the impression that it would
be like saying that a car is faster than going by foot, faster even than
running!

Now that i have heard how large your ram is i'm not so sure about
putting it at the front of the drive in a "Primary Partition".  It would
make more sense to stick it at the end of the drive inside a Logical
Partition which would be inside an "Extended Partition".  Partly that's
because it's difficult for me to adjust to thinking about SSDs but also
as a drive can only have 4 Primary Partitions - or 3 Primary and 1
Extended, the only way to have more than 4 partitions is to put all the
rest in an Extended Partition.  Given that you only need the swap to
cover a scenario much more likely to happen to a laptop and very
unlikely in a desktop machine it seems a waste to give the swap a
Primary Partition.  I think i would now be considering something like
this

sda1 15Gb Primary ext3 for /
sda2 20Gb Primary ext3 for /home - temporarily. Windows Xp here afterwards?
sda3 large Primary for Windows inside a virtual machine again temporarily as fat32
sda4 14Gb Extended Partition, this can always be resized later if required
 . sda5 5.5Gb unallocated but ready to use for trying out other OS's, such as other gnu&linux distros
 . sda6 8.5Gb Logical Partition for linux-swap

Ok so i am not sure that virtual machines use real partitions, I'm
completely clueless about that.  I do think that Xp is worth having
installed somewhere and it would be remiss to miss out on having
Windows7 somewhere just to see what its like (assuming you don't have to
pay a huge fortune to just try it out) - or at least have a decent space
for it for later.

The main reason for setting up sda2 & sda3 in this scenario is to keep
all the numbering neat and in the same order as the partitions appear on
the drive.  Sometimes i get a bit excessive about tidiness like that.

That is just my thoughts tho.  You might well have a better plan :)

Anyway, thanks for the link to the SSD article :)
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)