ubuntugnome-artwork team mailing list archive

Using the right tools for collaboration (Slack.com)

Hi all,

We all know that communication between several members from several
countries around the world is no easy task.

Coordinating us for collaborating is Artwork design, website development,
etc is plain chaos. This is not necessarily our fault, but the fault of the
communication methods we use right now (mailing lists and Google+ mainly).

*Introducing Slack.com*
As Niels Vermaut suggested, we could use Slack. I've tested it and it would
fit us perfectly:

   - It's a message-based system (think of IRC) with enhanced features,
   such as uploading files.
   - It can be installed in iOS, Android and Mac or used directly in your
   Web Browser.
   - It can be connected with other apps. For instance a user can type
   \hangout and start a Google+ hangout. It can be connected with Dropbox, etc.

Please, notice that this is not a replacement for our current communication
ways (IRC, mailing lists, etc), just an extra one to ease collaboration.

IRC is still going to be used for general QA or discussions, the mailing
lists can still be used for announcements and general
discussions/polls/etc. *The point is to have an optimal service to ease and
fasten the collaboration in the tasks that require such thing.*

As far as I'm concerned, all I need is an e-mail address to invite you to
the Team.

Follow ups