ubuntugnome-artwork team mailing list archive

Re: Using the right tools for collaboration (Slack.com)

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Alfredo Hernández <
aldomann.designs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hold Alfredo,

> We all know that communication between several members from several
> countries around the world is no easy task.

+1
Ask me about it ;)

> Coordinating us for collaborating is Artwork design, website development,
> etc is plain chaos. This is not necessarily our fault, but the fault of the
> communication methods we use right now (mailing lists and Google+ mainly).

Not going to mention what I have experienced with other communities but
what I have done with Ubuntu GNONE since July 2013 until now, has been done
by using:

Mainly the mailing list(s).
And, sometimes IRC.

Social Media has been used for informal discussions using my own personal
accounts.

For Ubuntu GNOME Social Media Channels, that's something else.

I didn't need to use ANY other tool/channel/platform.

> *Introducing Slack.com*
> As Niels Vermaut suggested, we could use Slack. I've tested it and it
> would fit us perfectly:
>
>    - It's a message-based system (think of IRC) with enhanced features,
>    such as uploading files.
>    - It can be installed in iOS, Android and Mac or used directly in your
>    Web Browser.
>    - It can be connected with other apps. For instance a user can type
>    \hangout and start a Google+ hangout. It can be connected with Dropbox, etc.

Feel free to organize your sub-teams the way you see fit, guys. I have
nothing against that. That is why, on the first place, we have drivers/team
leaders and have sub-teams.

However:

> Please, notice that this is not a replacement for our current
> communication ways (IRC, mailing lists, etc), just an extra one to ease
> collaboration.

Ditto.

Please, keep in mind thIat our MAIN OFFICIAL channels of communications
will remain:

   - Mailing List(s).
   - IRC

I'm talking about the Internal Communications between us, the members of
this family.

For the external communications, everyone can see the Contact Us page on
our Wiki area.

> IRC is still going to be used for general QA or discussions, the mailing
> lists can still be used for announcements and general
> discussions/polls/etc. *The point is to have an optimal service to ease
> and fasten the collaboration in the tasks that require such thing.*

As I said, you have my +1 when it comes to organize and lead your sub-team
the way you see fit :)

> As far as I'm concerned, all I need is an e-mail address to invite you to
> the Team.

Sorry, I can't be on more channels at the moment. I have more than enough
to handle.

> --

Thank you!

--