ubuntugnome-wiki-docs team mailing list archive

HowTo - some tasks completed

Hello, team,

I have made some changes in the HOWTO page and this is only the beginning. There is a lot of work here and I think we have to do it like professionals.

I want to thank you, jamesvorder, you have set the beginning of this very important job in the Ubuntu GNOME Wiki page.

First of all, I read a lot of tutorials in the Internet (everybody does) and now I am learning how to create HOWTOs from big companies like Microsoft. I know we all don't like Windows, but Microsoft pays a lot of money for a professional documentation, tutorials, etc. And we have to do everything like they do it, because there are some standards for style, terminology, choice for the right words, etc.

Second, here is what I have done. It is not a big work, but as I said it is only my beginning. And together with you we can expand the tutorials.

1. I extended some sentences with a few words, because they seem to lack of semantics. For example, a sentence like 'Change whatever you like' is very general - every step of a tutorial has to be precise in the definition and it has to explain actual task for the user. No offence, jamesvorder, as I already said, I really appreciate your work and you have to continue adding articles in this page. I know that the tutorials have to be short, but in some cases there was a need for extending because they were too short and beginners may be confused in the end.
2. I added a "Bring the GNOME shell" very short tutorial in the "Basics", because every article in the down paragraphs use this sentence and every novice user have to know what is that and that it is the most important for him or her.
3. I removed most of the quatation marks and change the text in them in bold (names of applications, tabs, etc.) - to be easy to find while scrolling the page.
4. I set all commands' text to {{{code}}} type with bullets in front of them.
5. I changed 'Installing Things' to 'Software Management'.
6. I updated the information on how to install Oracle Java, OpenJDK and OpenJRE.
7. I have added some advanced tips on using Ubuntu GNOME - how to mount a device with Terminal. The information here really needs editing and I will do this these days, because I am not happy with the text I created. It has to be explained in more odrerly way.

And I call this page Beta, because not all of my sentences are perfectly precise, but I have a suggestion - we have to continue adding new articles and in the same time everyone of us will check for errors,   inaccuracy, style and type mistakes, etc.

Follow ups