ubuntugnome-wiki-docs team mailing list archive

Re: HowTo - some tasks completed

On 12/09/2013 06:41 PM, ???? ?????? wrote:
> Hello, team,
Hey Ivan!

> I have made some changes in the HOWTO page and this is only the
> beginning. There is a lot of work here and I think we have to do it
> like professionals.
I couldn't agree more.

> I want to thank you, jamesvorder, you have set the beginning of this
> very important job in the Ubuntu GNOME Wiki page.
... :)

> First of all, I read a lot of tutorials in the Internet (everybody
> does) and now I am learning how to create HOWTOs from big companies
> like Microsoft. I know we all don't like Windows, but Microsoft pays a
> lot of money for a professional documentation, tutorials, etc. And we
> have to do everything like they do it, because there are some
> standards for style, terminology, choice for the right words, etc.

> Second, here is what I have done. It is not a big work, but as I said
> it is only my beginning. And together with you we can expand the
> tutorials.
>
> 1. I extended some sentences with a few words, because they seem to
> lack of semantics. For example, a sentence like 'Change whatever you
> like' is very general - every step of a tutorial has to be precise in
> the definition and it has to explain actual task for the user. No
> offence, jamesvorder,
None taken
> as I already said, I really appreciate your work and you have to
> continue adding articles in this page. I know that the tutorials have
> to be short, but in some cases there was a need for extending because
> they were too short and beginners may be confused in the end.
> 2. I added a "Bring the GNOME shell" very short tutorial in the
> "Basics", because every article in the down paragraphs use this
> sentence and every novice user have to know what is that and that it
> is the most important for him or her.
> 3. I removed most of the quatation marks and change the text in them
> in bold (names of applications, tabs, etc.) - to be easy to find while
> scrolling the page.
> 4. I set all commands' text to {{{code}}} type with bullets in front
> of them.
> 5. I changed 'Installing Things' to 'Software Management'.
> 6. I updated the information on how to install Oracle Java, OpenJDK
> and OpenJRE.
> 7. I have added some advanced tips on using Ubuntu GNOME - how to
> mount a device with Terminal. The information here really needs
> editing and I will do this these days, because I am not happy with the
> text I created. It has to be explained in more odrerly way.
I can't thank you enough for adding and editing!  After looking at my
own work for so long, it was hard to see how to proceed.  I like what
you've done with the page!

> And I call this page Beta, because not all of my sentences are
> perfectly precise, but I have a suggestion - we have to continue
> adding new articles and in the same time everyone of us will check for
> errors, inaccuracy, style and type mistakes, etc.

Ivan, I can tell I'm going to like working with you.  Thanks for using
the mailing list like this, and for the well thought through edits.

P.S. I will be contributing to these pages, but maybe not so much in the
coming two weeks because I have final exams.

--
James Vorderbruggen
/UbuntuGNOME Wiki and Documentation Team/