ubuntugnome-wiki-docs team mailing list archive

Fwd: [Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS - Message from Ubuntu GNOME Technical Lead]

Hello everyone,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS - Message from Ubuntu GNOME Technical
Lead]
To: ubuntu-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am also a little worried about Gnome is talking a route that will be more
> compatible with Wayland display server, but Ubuntu will go for the MIR
> display server, how will this affect the next ubuntu-gnome releases? Will
> this be a problem? or I´m just worrying for nothing?

The whole MIR vs Wayland thing, is entirely irrelevant for now.
Ubuntu 14.04 is using X. X is not going to just disappear overnight! Ubuntu
GNOME 14.10 will likely continue using X, even if Ubuntu switch to Mir. At
some point in the distant future we will probably switch to wayland, but
right now its not even close to being ready.

Tim

IMHO, the above Q and A 'MUST' be documented :)
I am sure that will not the be last time such Q comes up nor the last time
we will re-answer the same Q.

I'd suggest to add that to the FAQ section. If you agree, I will go ahead
and add it to our website and Wiki Page :)

Thank you!

Best Regards,