Re: Identifying Computers

Hello Steve,

first let me thank you for your enlightening explanation.

I started today after receiving my invitation to the beta
program.  After I installed the ubuntuone-client package
it refused to startup.

Let me explain my setup: I've some paranoia and even with
Firefox plugins like noScript installed I wanted to
protect myself and my data against a firefox process
executing maliciuos code.

So I've created a new user account on my computer
solely for the purpose of running firefox in this account
and so with restricted rights (less group memberships, no access
to my private data).  Instead of starting firefox directly
I've a menu entry running the command
	ssh -X surferrole@localhost firefox
to launch my web browser.  In the menu preferences->preferred applications
(I hope it called so in english, because I run Gnome in
German I translated this back) I've configured the following
command as my preferred web browser command:
        ssh surferrole@localhost firefox -new-tab "'%s'"

For some reason the ubuntuone-client-applet was unable
to deal with this somewhat special situation.

I finally found its logfile which was somewhat hidden in a subdirectory
as $HOME/.cache/ubuntuone/log/oauth-login.log and pasted the URL
from this logfile manually in new firefox browser window running on
my own account.  That ugly workaround made it possible to continue
a little bit.  But the "Go to Web" menu entry from the applet
still doesn't work as I would have expected:  It open a new tab in
my firefox running as user "surferrole" instead of my account.
But that's it.