Re: Thunderbird tags

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 15:31 +0100, Damian Ondore wrote:
> Further to the earlier question about Evolution backup. Anybody have
> an idea how to backup the tags that one uses to categorise emails.
>

> These don't appear to be saved on the server with IMAP.
>

> I would like to avoid the hell I am going through right now, in
> future.

The tags are not interchangeable between mail clients and they are not
stored on the IMAP server (afaik).  They are defined in gconf in
~/.gconf/apps/evolution/%gconf.xml.  Not sure how evolution keeps track
of which mails are tagged with with "Label" (as Evolution calls them).

If you backup this file and for some reason need to restore you Labels
you need to:

      * Close Evolution
      * Run `evolution --force-shutdown` from the command line
      * Run `gconftool-2 --shutdown` from the command line
      * Copy and paste only the section in your backup file that begins
        with "<entry name="labels"..." and is terminated by </entry>
        into your new ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%gconf.xml file
      * Start Evolution again

Someone know a better way, but this has always worked for me in the
past.

- Pete

--
Peter Goodall <peter.goodall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>